Friday, May 6, 2011

Bigmouth Strikes Again

This is becoming an epidemic.  It looks like the sickness has now spread to professional athletes.  That's right, Rashard Mendenhall of the Pittsburgh Steelers has DCS...Dixie Chicks Syndrome.  While most Americans were expressing relief and joy that Osama bin Laden had been brought to justice (read: assassinated), Mendenhall posted this on Twitter- “What kind of person celebrates death? It’s amazing how people hate a man they never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side.”  Actually, Rashard, we have heard him speak.  He put out enough video, didn't he?  I got the message loud and clear.  Mendenhall also tweeted this gem- “We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take down a skyscraper demolition style.”  Given the live footage of the planes hitting the Twin Towers and the cell phone calls from the planes, I'd say we have a good idea what happened.  And yes, Lefty, fire can melt steel.  That's actually how it's made.  Well, everyone has a right to their opinion and to speak it openly...but everyone else has the right to think you're a jerk.  So, in keeping with that last part, Champion Apparel fired Mendenhall and released a statement of their own- "Champion is a strong supporter of the government's efforts to fight terrorism and is very appreciative of the dedication and commitment of the U.S. Armed Forces."  They then went on to say that Mendenhall is a great athlete, and they liked him well enough before he popped off with that crap, but he's fired.  Wish ya luck, buddy.  Now, I know what you're thinking.  "What's the matter with you, Mr. Johnson, how can you defend free speech and Champion's decision at the same time, you puss-filled boil of a republinazi?"  First, wash your mouth out with soap, Lefty, then clean out your ears.  I am a defender of free speech, but I'm also a defender of market forces.  Just like the Dixie Chicks, Mendenhall has a right to speak his mind, but people have a right to not give them their money, too, whether in the form of concert ticket sales or merchandising endorsement deals. You can go scream at the top of your lungs that you don't believe in the moonlanding, post any crazy crap about Kennedy's assassination that you want on Facebook...but your boss can fire you if he thinks you're making the company look bad.  Now- at it's core, some of what Mendenhall said is fair.  We shouldn't rejoice in death.  But I'll be damned if some pro ball dingus is going to make me feel bad that bin Laden's obituary made me smile.  I'm just not wired that way.  I've also seen this floating around in the comments section of news articles and on Facebook- "I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."~Martin Luther King Jr.   Guess where that quote really comes from?  Facebook.  So give it a rest.  Even Dr. King would have to agree that getting rid of a murderous beast like bin Laden is cause for joy.  You can find the scoop on that here: http://thedailywh.at/2011/05/03/follow-up-of-the-day-fake-mlk-quote-origin-found-on-facebook/   But getting back to poor Rashard...Yes, you have the right to free speech.  No, that right doesn't guarantee you won't get fired.  Understood?  I wish these celebrities would have taken this advice when it was given to the Dixie Chicks...but what can you say?  I hope he wasn't wearing his cleats when he put his foot in his mouth. 
Read more here: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/05/03/mendenhalls-tweets-stir-up-controversy/
and here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Apparel-company-dumps-Mendenhall-over-bin-Laden-?urn=nfl-wp1880

Also- I just have to share this...some guy actually referred to him as Retard Bendandfall.  I just thought that was funny.  Steelers fans probably hate that, though.  Oh, well. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What i find tough is to discover a blog that may seize me for a minute but your weblog is different. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

You cоulԁ ԁefіnitеly
see your skills in the woгκ you wrіte.

The arena hopеs for еven moгe passionate wrіteгs suсh aѕ уou who аrеn't afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.
My site ; aluminum channel

Anonymous said...

You're such a hypocritical bitch. All the "Christian" Jesus bullshit you've spewed about saving parasties in wombs gets you all upset--BTW, God doesn't give a shit about zygotes any more than he does REAL LIVE BABIES in the Old Testament, i.e. causing miscarriages, killing Egyptian babies, etc.---but it's okay to smile when an actual live person gets offed. Granted, I'm FINE with Bin Laden going into the fiery pits of hell or whatever, but then again, I'm not pretending to be holier than thou when it suits my purposes, and a then turn around and make not-so-Christian statements---even if Bin Laden IS a piece of shit. But it sure is good to see your true "Christian" colors where it comes to not forgiving people...LOLOLOL! Just proves me right---again. ;)

Unknown said...

Wow, "Anonymous," if that is, in fact, your real name, I just can't help but think that you might not really be reading these posts. Try it again, I think you've missed the point. I could explain it to you, but I'm afraid I can't comprehend it for you.