Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Naked Jocks Harrass Bimbo Reporter

Have you ever seen one of those cheesy sports movies where the guys in the locker room are all joking with each other, not feeling a bit self-conscious, naked or in towels, until the hot-but-tough chick walks in? They get all nervous and try to pull their pants up, and the hot-but-tough chick says something hot-but-tough like, "Take it easy, boys, it's nothing I haven't seen before." See the woman in the pictures? That's Ines Sainz, a sports reporter for TV Azteca in Mexico. Not exactly Howard Cosell, right? When she walked into the Jets locker room on Sunday, she didn't walk into a cheesy sports movie. She walked into an actual men's locker room. The script writer must have been off that day.
I remember when I was a teenager, my dad, when I would accidentally swear in front of my mother, would say something like, "Hey, keep that kind of talk in the locker room!" I wonder why he'd say that? Maybe because ladies weren't allowed in there! It's no secret, is it? I know I was never allowed in the ladies' locker room. I wouldn't say it's a place for privacy, but there are some pretty good reasons why the men and women don't shower together after gym class. Now I'm perfectly ready for the argument, so I'll say it for you. "We've come a long way in this country, Mr. Johnson, and Neanderthals like you are going to have to give us women the equality we deserve. There's no reason a professional reporter of any gender should be harassed by these thick-necked jocks when she's just trying to do her job!" Good one. Give yourself a high five. But let's face it, she wasn't exactly dressed professionally, was she? In every picture I've ever seen of her, she looks...well...kind of like a Bourbon Street stripper. I think that's kind of her thing, actually. Google trends lists her hotness as "spicy." And wasn't she a beauty pageant winner, or something? "That shouldn't matter, Mr. Johnson, you knuckle-dragging man-beast, she should be able to wear any thing she wants and not be sexually harassed and have to listen to catcalls from horny jocks!" Sure. Maybe in a world where all men are gay. Of course you should be able to wear an outfit that you think flatters you, makes you feel good about yourself, and not feel like a piece of meat. I'm not arguing that. But I never met a beautiful woman with half a brain who didn't know what kind of attention certain outfits would get her. I mean, it's almost like entrapment, or something! And as far as sexual harassment goes, it seems to me the rules are: 1) Don't be married 2) Don't be ugly. Does that about cover it? Until 1990, I was not "enlightened" enough to know that women don't like to be thought of as "sexy," so the details are still a little fuzzy for me. I know that when I was single and I hit on a woman, it was only acceptable if she also found me attractive, otherwise I was a nuisance. But if the rules have changed, I'd like to know, because this means that I can go into the ladies' locker room while you shower after a volleyball game without a shirt on and start asking questions. We're an evolved society, right? You won't laugh or whistle. You're bigger than that. Okay, that's not ever going to happen. You see, I still believe, cave-dweller that I am, that men and women are different. We're supposed to be. And we both need our own rooms, decency demands that much of us. It's hard for me to be sympathetic to Ines in this case, because I'm sure this wasn't the first round of catcalls and whistles she's ever gotten, and really, she ought to know that a group of naked guys full of testosterone and adrenaline are going to act a little inappropriate in their locker room. Well, except maybe in the movies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I think I agree with 100% on this one Andy. ;)