Sunday, March 4, 2007

Unconcious Racism in America

It might be easier to tackle the issue with a little humor. Too often in this country, we fear to talk about the problem of racism in America because our emotions run wild and our tempers flare. Perhaps the worst thing a person could be called is a racist. No one wants to think they are one, and nobody wants others to think they are, but maybe you're a racist and are unaware of it.
We all know that person who swears up and down they're not racially prejudiced. They're the Jetta driving Oprah watchers who find it easy to be open minded because they live so far removed from the problem. It's easy to be open minded when the closest you get to a minority is your television screen. They say, "I'm not a racist, I hate racism. My best friend is black." But as soon as they see an African-American coming toward them in a jogging suit, they make sure the door is locked and the gun is loaded. That's what I call unconscious racism, and it is every bit as bad as the KKK variety.
Just take Mel Gibson as an example. Mel didn't mean to be offensive. He probably didn't even know, at least consciously, that he's an anti-Semite. I mean, do you believe, honestly, that Mel Gibson was sitting around his house, just bored out of his mind, turned to his wife, and said, "You know what, honey? I think I'm going to go do something I haven't done in a while. I think I'm gonna drink a six-pack of beer. Then I'm gonna chase that down with a fifth of tequila. Then I'm gonna drive around Malibu drunk off my ass and I'm gonna hate Jews. Yeah, that sounds fun...and when some cop pulls me over and asks me what the hell I think I'm doing, I'm gonna tell him! I'll say, 'I'm hating Jews! It's fun! I could hate Jews all night! Hey, are you a Jew? I can't wait to see how damaging this is gonna be to my career!'"
Somehow, I don't think so. Michael Richards had the same problem. He probably had no idea that he was such a foul-mouthed bigot. There he was, just trying to be funny without the help of Jerry, the anti-dentite, and the pressure was so great that when he was heckled by an African-American, he lashed out with his own unconscious hate. Do you seriously believe he made a conscious decision to end his career in a busy comedy club by basically announcing to the world that he's a racist? Sure, he said, "This is the perfect time for me to tell you all what a steaming pile of Hitler-filled crap I am! N-word, N-word, N-word!" No, he probably didn't. But consider this...you could probably count on one hand the number of African-Americans have been on that show we all used to watch.
Did I make my point? Are you looking in the mirror? Because it isn't just us white guys, and it's not just in Hollywood. It's everywhere. It's in everybody. It's a poison, and it has the power to destroy this nation. Here's my proof; the fact that I'm even talking about it. Have you ever noticed yourself choosing to wait in a longer line because the short line was run by a Latino cashier? Did you make a conscious decision to not take the seat on the bus next to the Arab? Did you choose not to sit in the section of the restaurant where the white girl is waiting tables? No, you probably didn't even think about it. But it's in you.
Let's stop choosing sides like this was a game of schoolyard kickball. We all have our strengths and weaknesses as Americans, If we stop pointing out the fact that we're different, then maybe we can achieve a merit-based society. In other words, if you speak English, and if you stop telling me you're a Mexican, I'll stop noticing. If you stop pointing out that I'm a white guy and , as such, can never understand, I won't think about that either. Everyone is so wrapped up in their heritage that we can't even agree on our shared American heritage. Let's make a conscious decision to stomp out hatred and intolerance by starting with ourselves. I'll take the first step. From this day on, I will no longer be whitey the blue-eyed devil cracker SOB. I'll just be me, and I'll let you be you. Fair enough?

No comments: